Welcome to this the Toojays Blog. This is a unique way for us to tell you about the latest training events and activites from Toojays, as well as keeping you uptodate with current development & HR issues. Hope you find it useful and look forward to your feedback.
Viewing entries tagged football management
Game of two halfs
There has often been a link to sport and business leadership for many years. Sport has provided an easy to relate framework for individuals to understand leadership and performance concepts.
With the start of the European Championships this week football provides yet another analysis opportunity.
Using a few well know football managers a recent article by Personnel Today What can we learn from football managers? highlights the different leadership approaches.
What is your football manager style?
- Autocratic - Alex Ferguson, Manchester United. Prefers a high level of power over the team.
- Relationship - Ian Holloway, Blackpool. Leads people through encouragement and enthusiasm.
- Cognitive - Arsene Wenger, Arsenal. Leads by a purely logical, methodical approach.
- Collaborative - Roy Hodgson, England. Deliberates with team members and uses their contributions to make decisions.
- Shadow - Carlo Ancelotti, Paris St Germain. Provides adequate authority to the team members to reach decisions and do the right things.
- Co-achievement - Harry Redknapp, Tottenham Hotspur. Works with all the team members to inspire them to reach decisions and do the right things.
- Results-focused - Sam Allardyce, West Ham. Only interested in making sure the result happens, whatever it takes.
- Transactional - Roberto Mancini, Manchester City. Rewards are measured and offered by performance.
- High-flex - David Moyes, Everton. Will change their style to suit the circumstances or needs at the appropriate time.
So what's your style? or preference?
Truth be told effective leadership is situational. Knowing how to adapt and change in order to get the best out of the situation or individuals.
Tags: training, Management Development, Leadership, HR, football management